Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Door To Door Hosiery Salesman [Day 1]

Wow. That was a tough night. I even quit an hour and a half early. The rest of my post tells you all.

I went door to door, seeing if I could sell some of the hosiery that CanadianLegging.ca had sent me. I did this to make some cash, and because I feel obligated to get rid of some of the hosiery. The people were polite, but they were not interested. I am not entirely clear on why that is. I suspect that it has nothing to do with my appearance. I also suspect that it is simply because people in general do not like to buy stuff at the door.

My first approach was "Hi. My name Eugene. I'm trying to start my own local business. May I tell you 3 more things about it?" Usually, they do allow me to carry on. Then I say, "My business is a hosiery business. My friend is the manufacturer, and he is in Ontario. By buying a pair or more, you would end up supporting 2 Canadian businesses.".

I ended up changing the last line a few times. First, I changed it to something like, "Do you know anybody in the home, or are there family members would like a pair?". I think that I modified it to "You could support a local business by buying a pair for somebody here, or for a family friend.". Not surprisingly, it still did not work.

I am getting sleepy now, so I cannot remember what I said after that, but I think that I changed it around, on the way home, on the bus. I decided to change it, because when I ask for permission, it felt like begging. I will still ask for permission, because I want to be respectful of people's time, but in general, I hope to have a better approach.

My current script will involve a mention of me donating the hosiery to a thrift store, and me donating a portion of the proceeds to a non-profit group. The idea is that the majority of people do not even really care about hosiery. So, why talk about features or being a Canadian business? I bet people are more interested in supporting a non-profit.

Any advice?? Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Eugene, it's best to just set up tables at events. That gets a really good response. You can even set up a table at a flea market for maybe $20.

    ReplyDelete